Thursday, February 21, 2013

When Your Cause Finds You

 "It’s not easy to be an advocate, but sometimes our causes find us, even when we don’t expect them" --Liza Long

I found this quote when I was reading about the impressive mom who wrote about her mentally ill child in an article entitled "I am Adam Lanza's Mother" along with the Nova/Frontline show that followed.  

It's so true what she says about our causes finding us.

I would have never believed it if you asked me 10 years ago that I would be active in adoptee rights.  I thought the Adoptee Rights Coalition had recently lost their collective minds when they asked me (who has never been active in politics) to be on their legislative committee.

But sometimes our causes find us, indeed.

I have had people in my life say to me that I have issues with adoption. 

I have had friends say that they don't want to search for birth family (fearing I would try and convince them).  

Adoptees sometimes feel the need to explain to me why they do or do not have the same need/passion to seek out the past details of their lives or want to engage in relationships with blood relatives.

Listen guys.  It's o.k. if you don't want to search.  It's o.k. if you don't want to order your original birth certificate.  It's o.k. if you don't want to ask your parents for your adoption file.  It's o.k. if you are too scared or busy to seek out answers.  

It's o.k. if you don't want to know.

I get it.

I was there with you at one time.

I too was scared, intimidated, frustrated, angry, indifferent, annoyed, and busy.
  
I was afraid of hurting people's feelings.

I was afraid of confronting authority.


I was afraid to fail.  

I was afraid of being rejected.

I was afraid to upset the apple cart.

But my cause found me.  And now there is no turning back.

Adopted people never stop being adopted. 

If the laws were fair and the records were open and the media didn't twist adoption into something it truly isn't . . . . 

If adoption wasn't a multi-million dollar industry . .. 

If the doctors and medical community really wanted to push the issue of our lack of medical knowledge . . .. 

if the non-adopted really understood what it was like to grow up rootless . . . .

then there wouldn't be a cause to fight for.

But until then, you can find me on my laptop pushing ahead and supporting my fellow adoptees in having what should have been rightfully theirs all along . . .. 

the truth about their lives.

   



  
   

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful, Lynn. I too at one time could never have imagined that I would be active in the adoptee rights movement. Now I can't imagine being quiet. The fact that in this day and age it is controversial to have the truth about our own lives as adults is just incredible. So many of us -- adoptees included -- have been brainwashed by the adoption industry propaganda, and those lobbies that oppose adoptee rights continue to be powerful. But there are so many of us who will be quiet no longer, and that is such a good thing.

    ReplyDelete