Proud to be part of adoptee rights in New Brunswick, Canada

A while ago, I received the following email after Beth McCrea found my Paradox post at Lost Daughters:

"I would like to ask your permission to use your poem in our presentation to our provincial premier as we meet to discuss open records. I am one of the founding members of COARnb (Coalition for Open Adoption Records in New Brunswick) and we have been invited to meet with our Premier (Governor) in February.

We are working with Sen. D'Allesandro of NH and Paule Benoit of ME. So many of our sons and daughters were adopted to the New England states and all over the US. We are fighting hard to give them their Chapter One, which is rightfully theirs."


I was flattered but I didn't think much would come of it. I mean, it's just a poem.

However, I knew this person was as passionate as I am about adoptee rights (and even more impressive because she is not adopted herself) but I didn't think my poem would be any big deal when it came to changing laws.

Today I received the following post on my Facebook wall:

 "Lynn, your poem was very warmly received. It was the first entry in our folder. I passed it along to Origins Canada as they wanted a copy. They will credit it to you, of course. It is a beautiful piece. Thank you for allowing me to share it with our Premier."

What can I say?  For somebody who only writes poetry like once every five years, this made my day, my month, my year!  The only thing that can top this is Ohio opening those birth certificates they are holding hostage and setting my people free!  

Here is a copy of the poem I posted under Paradox at Lost Daughters.  Thank you to Amanda Woolston for giving me the opportunity to write for Lost Daughters.  I am one of the 30 authors there -- all adopted women -- who share our stories of adoption.


Adoption is 

a concept, a belief and an action
A lack of choice and being chosen
A legal solution to a spiritual problem
A spiritual solution to a legal problem
A loving choice and a thrusting upon
A nurturing touch yet a stealing away

it saved me; yet damaged me  
Provided for me, yet took away from me
Blessed me yet cursed me
Gave me a name and took a name
It creates a chance for love to grow and a door for misunderstanding
It creates a family out of strangers and strangers out of family
It inspires and teaches and it wounds and damages

Adoption is

My friend and my enemy
A thorn in my side and my shining light
A rainbow and a gravestone
Acceptance and rejection
Truth and lies
Known and unknown
Love and hatred
a casting away and returning

Adoption is

Not my friend nor my enemy
Not the excuse or the cause
Not perfect or evil
Not the reason or the scapegoat
Not who I am or who I am not
Everything and nothing

(copyright Lynn Grubb; may reproduce with permission)


 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narcissism and Adoption -- Very Likely Bedfellows

Common Traits of Adoptees

What To Do When Your Birth Mother Refuses Contact or Vital Information